Investigations and Disputes
What start as allegations affecting reputation can easily tip into more serious problems and involve regulators, litigation and blocks on freedom to operate. We work with clients to identify the risks of becoming embroiled in investigations and act to protect them from the consequences.
Not all reputation risks end with what is said about you - many serve as a leading indicator that an investigation by an authority may be prompted or that banks and others subject to compliance regimes may refuse to deal with you.
We focus on identifying the substantive threats to help clients work with specialist counsel in relevant jurisdictions to prepare themselves for regulatory intervention. We also work with businesses and individuals where serious allegations linger in their compliance profiles, complicating their banking and financial freedom to operate.
Alongside working on substantive investigations, we work with businesses to protect their ability to operate while proceedings are ongoing.
Our recent work includes:
- Nations involved in allegations of corruption in FIFA.
- An individual subject to allegations in the CumEx fraud trials in Germany.
- A large corporation subject to US Department of Justice investigations into its government contracts across the globe.
- An individual accused of involvement in political corruption in Cyprus and involved in international regulatory proceedings.
- External investigation into allegations of misconduct against a senior figure in a sporting body.
- Advice to an entity accuse of breaching trading sanctions with Iran.
- Work to remove compliance red flags on due diligence databases.
- Individuals involved in the 1MDB investigations in Malaysia.
- A military supply business whose executives saw their banking facilities withdrawn.
- Banks and individual bankers subject to allegations of manipulating markets.