Impact of Crime
We support innocent parties caught up in criminal justice processes to ensure their rights are protected in Court and in publicity around the proceedings. While criminality is ongoing, while proceedings are active and after conviction, we ensure that the lives of the innocent are not blighted by the wrongs of others.
We have achieved innovative Court judgments protecting victims of crime from offenders and from outside parties, including the press, making public details of offending and clients’ responses.
We have a specialism in blackmail cases in which we have achieved:
- Working with clients and their specialist intelligence teams to evaluate threats and most effective means of response.
- Civil Court injunctions to prevent the execution of blackmail threats, including publication of information on social networks.
- Novel Court orders preventing publication of the fact of a blackmail threat being made.
- Achieving reporting restrictions throughout the criminal justice system through to sentencing preventing the identity of blackmail victims being published.
We are working to make new law giving better protection to victims and those falsely accused of offences to ensure they are not tainted by the misdeeds or mistakes of others.
Our recent work includes:
- Acting for a FTSE 100 plc to prevent a blackmailer disclosing hacked information concerning the business.
- Pursuing an international media organisation which had named a minor who had been the victim of violent crime.
- Preventing details of a failed blackmail attempt being publicised during criminal justice proceedings for a leading international business.
- Advising a leading sporting entity on the handling of proceedings over data theft.